Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hugin - Stitching Photos



Last night, I tried using Hugin for the first time. It is a freeware for stitching photos. You use it to stitch photos into awesome panoramas. I experimented a bit using photos I took at my desk. It was a tedious process. The photos didn't come out good. But it is a start. I thought it was easy as demonstrated in the video tutorials I watched at YoutTube. 
It is not, especially when I am using smartphone photos. I needed to get many overlapping shots as possible. That is about 10-15 portrait shots with an overlap of 30% or more to be able to get many control points as possible. Hugin needs these control points as reference for stitching. 
To get the best panorama with a few click, I should get a full frame camera. With a full frame camera, I can shoot a 360 degree panorama in just 4 shots. For a crop camera, I need at least 6 shots. Using my Samsung Galaxy Note II, I took more than 10 shots to get a panorama photo of my desk. 
I also need a fisheye lens. I need to shop around to buy one. Looking at the world with fish eyes. Kewl!

No comments:

Post a Comment